I use a bread machine to make the dough but you can do by hand too.
500g strong flour
2tsps dried yeast
150ml sour cream, creme fraiche or vegan yoghurt
150ml milk or dairy-free mylk
125g melted butter, mixed with your choice of flavourings – chopped garlic, saffron, herbs of your choice. Sweet versions – cinnamon, honey, cardamom, fruit
1. Warm the liquids and mix into dry ingredients
2. Knead for 8-10 minutes.
3. Cover with damp cloth and leave in a warm place till double
4. Knock back and knead to original size
5. Roll out dough to 2cm thick and cut with a medium-sized biscuit cutter or wine glass into rounds
6. Dip each piece in butter and layer overlapping in a round cake tin or mould with a central spike (for a more crusty and delicious edge)
7. Pour over any remaining butter, cover and allow to rise
8. Bake at 190C till risen and golden (about 30 minutes in a fan oven)
9. Put a plate over the tin and invert carefully so that you don't dislodge the segments
10. Always best eaten fresh and warm
Added by: Dough Girl
We love to see what you've been baking, but are just updating this section at the moment - we will be able to accept new community recipes in the near future, please don't try to upload in the meantime as we won't be able to accept the photo or send a voucher yet.
If you add one of your own baking recipes with a photo to the Shipton Mill website, we will send you a voucher for 5% off your next order from the Flour Direct shop.
It's very easy, just click here to visit your " My Shipton Mill" page to get started.