A delicious, tear-apart bread that you can flavour in a zillion ways. My favourite is saffron and garlic, but you can make sweet versions too.
500g strong flour
2tsps dried yeast
150ml sour cream, creme fraiche or vegan yoghurt
150ml milk or dairy-free mylk
125g melted butter, mixed with your choice of flavourings – chopped garlic, saffron, herbs of your choice. Sweet versions – cinnamon, honey, cardamom, fruit
1. Warm the liquids and mix into dry ingredients
2. Knead for 8-10 minutes.
3. Cover with damp cloth and leave in a warm place till double
4. Knock back and knead to original size
5. Roll out dough to 2cm thick and cut with a medium-sized biscuit cutter or wine glass into rounds
6. Dip each piece in butter and layer overlapping in a round cake tin or mould with a central spike (for a more crusty and delicious edge)
7. Pour over any remaining butter, cover and allow to rise
8. Bake at 190C till risen and golden (about 30 minutes in a fan oven)
9. Put a plate over the tin and invert carefully so that you don't dislodge the segments
10. Always best eaten fresh and warm
Added by: Dough Girl
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers