500g of flour (Shipton Mill type 45, 55, or organic AP— depends on your taste) 2 teaspoons of sea salt 1/2 teaspoon of dry active yeast 350ml (grams) of water
* Mix all above-listed ingredients, cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature overnight (or for up 48 hours in the refrigerator).
* Scrape the dough onto a floured surface and separate into four equal portions. Stretch into four batons, as long as your oven will accomodate, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. For us, they ended up somewhat thinner and shorter than the standard baguette, creating a high surface to volume ratio, which produces ample crust!
* Re-cover loosely with plastic wrap and let them rise at room temperature for another 6-12 hours.
* Preheat the oven to 220°C.
* Score the top of each grillette with a sharp knife or kitchen scissors.
* Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on how darkened you like your grillettes.
Our type 45 is designed to be used for making fine puff pastry, and is a classic example of a “Farine Supérieure”. This grade of flour is used in France to produce a variety of pastries which require....
The Broyé du Poitou, an old, traditional French recipe for a buttery biscuit coming from the Poitou region of western France. Easy to make, doesn't need a special tin and traditionally broken into little pieces, for sharing, by giving one big punch to the middle of it. The hard biscuit then breaks into chunky shards.
Easy...quick....scrumptious... "Delicious when warm, soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside," says my daughter, Cansu Julia, who helped to mix the dough and roll out the croissants with her sister.
If you've time, look on the internet for Pane Altamura and the various ways to form the loaf
It's informative and fun trying something different
Many thanks to ABaker for the inspiration
However if you haven't try this!
Add a recipe & get 5% off
We love to see what you've been baking, but are just updating this section at the moment - we will be able to accept new community recipes in the near future, please don't try to upload in the meantime as we won't be able to accept the photo or send a voucher yet.
Once new additions can be welcomed, if you add one of your own baking recipes with a photo to the Shipton Mill website, we will send you a voucher for 5% off your next order from the Flour Direct shop.