Makes 6 triangular scones - perfect with lashings of clotted cream and homemade jam. This 'mud pie' method really works, you need to get your fingers wet with the egg-and-milk mixture to make a perfect smooth finish - but don't flatten the dough too much. You'll be rewarded with a proper scone that can be split apart, and the addition of the ground almonds gives them a lovely rich texture.
120g Shipton Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
30g ground almonds
1½ tsps gf baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 pinch salt
½ tsp xanthan gum
35g unsalted, cold butter
1 medium egg, beaten
3-4 tbsp cold milk
1. Pre-heat fan oven to 180˚C.
2. Prepare a baking sheet with buttered parchment paper.
3. Weigh all dry ingredients into a bowl or food processor.
4. Cut the butter into cubes and rub into flour with fingertips, or pulse in processor.
5. Add the beaten egg and the milk and mix to a paste with a spatula or pulse to a wet paste.
6. Turn the paste onto the prepared parchment and using your hands and milk to smooth, shape it into a round disc approx 12cm diameter, so that all the creases disappear.
7. Cut in half, and cut each half into 3, pulling the triangles slightly apart, slide the scone round on its parchment onto the baking sheet, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until brown and well risen.
8. Remove from oven, and gently break apart and cool on a wire rack. Serve with clotted cream and jam.
Once you get used to this flour mix and method - much wetter than conventional flour - you'll be delighted with the result every time! Double or triple the quantities for more scones, left-overs can be re-heated and eaten warm the next day.
Added by: gfshiptonmill
This page is an open forum for friends of Shipton Mill to contribute recipes. We do not test all of these recipes, so we cannot guarantee that they are gluten-free and suitable for all dietary requirements. Please do check the recipe thoroughly before making it.
Looking for a unique gift for the baker in your life this Christmas? Well we might just have the answer, one of our beautiful Christmas Hampers.
Choose from The Baker’s Starter Kit, designed for the passionate home baker, some of the essentials to get you up and running to produce mouth-watering goodies. Or The Shipton Mill Special, a limited edition hamper including Uncle Tom’s cold-pressed olive oil, our Shipton Mill apron, a hand carved British bread board and more.