Yummy cheese straws made with a bread dough
375g Plain flour
7g Instant yeast
12g Granulated sugar
187g Warm milk
42g Butter + 100g to spread on the dough
1 large egg beaten
200g Grated cheddar cheese
1. Mix all the ingredients except the cheese into a bowl until it starts to come together.
2. Tip dough out onto the bench and knead until silky smooth (about 8 minutes). Place back in the bowl covered with a plastic bag for an hour.
3. Knock back and divide the dough into two equal pieces.
4. Roll each piece into a sausage and then flatten into a rectangle approximately 8" x 10".
5. Spread one of the pieces with butter on one side and sprinkle generously with cheese.
6. Cover with the remaining dough piece.
7. Flatten to secure the filling.
8. Spread butter on half, lengthwise, of the flattend dough.
9. Divide the dough in half, lenghtwise, and lift the buttered piece and place butter down on the other.
10. Cut the dough into a number of 8" long slices
11. For each slice, using a long skewer or a chopstick press down in the middle along the length to seal. Turn over and repeat if necessary.
12. For each slice, twist a number of times and place on a baking tray.
13. Using a pastry brush paind each straw with an egg wash and then srinkle generously with cheese.
14. Bake for 25 minutes at 180°C.
Added by: Doughtastic - Graham
Looking for a unique gift for the baker in your life this Christmas? Well we might just have the answer, one of our beautiful Christmas Hampers.
Choose from The Baker’s Starter Kit, designed for the passionate home baker, some of the essentials to get you up and running to produce mouth-watering goodies. Or The Shipton Mill Special, a limited edition hamper including Uncle Tom’s cold-pressed olive oil, our Shipton Mill apron, a hand carved British bread board and more.