Yummy cheese straws made with a bread dough
375g Plain flour
7g Instant yeast
12g Granulated sugar
187g Warm milk
42g Butter + 100g to spread on the dough
1 large egg beaten
200g Grated cheddar cheese
1. Mix all the ingredients except the cheese into a bowl until it starts to come together.
2. Tip dough out onto the bench and knead until silky smooth (about 8 minutes). Place back in the bowl covered with a plastic bag for an hour.
3. Knock back and divide the dough into two equal pieces.
4. Roll each piece into a sausage and then flatten into a rectangle approximately 8" x 10".
5. Spread one of the pieces with butter on one side and sprinkle generously with cheese.
6. Cover with the remaining dough piece.
7. Flatten to secure the filling.
8. Spread butter on half, lengthwise, of the flattend dough.
9. Divide the dough in half, lenghtwise, and lift the buttered piece and place butter down on the other.
10. Cut the dough into a number of 8" long slices
11. For each slice, using a long skewer or a chopstick press down in the middle along the length to seal. Turn over and repeat if necessary.
12. For each slice, twist a number of times and place on a baking tray.
13. Using a pastry brush paind each straw with an egg wash and then srinkle generously with cheese.
14. Bake for 25 minutes at 180°C.
Added by: Doughtastic - Graham
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will be delivered by pallet.
Community bakeries and micro-bakeries can call us directly on 01666 505050 to place orders.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers