A gloriously soft roll with a light, chewy crust; simple, yet versatile recipe.
Yield: 20 rolls (approx.)
Drop Weight: 100g
Shipton Mill Flour (T55) 375
Shipton Mill Flour (T55) 850
- Mix all ingredients for the Sponge in a bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave at ambient for 12-16 hours or overnight.
- After fermentation, Sponge should be active and bubbly
- Place all remaining ingredients with Sponge into a mixer and mix on 1st speed for 4 mins or until fully combined
- Leave to rest for about 15 mins
- Mix on 2nd speed for 6-7 mins or until dough is smooth and extensible
- Remove dough from mixer and place in a lightly floured tub. Cover and ferment for 2 hours, and apply a fold half way through the ferment
- Lighty flour your work space and place dough onto table. Scale at 100g using a measuring scale and shape into boules, placing each roll onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Repeat until all dough is used and make sure rolls are placed with space in between to allow for exapnsion and rise during the prove
- Lightly and evenly flour rolls and cover to make sure rolls don't dry out. Leave to prove at ambient for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Brush rolls with water or eggwash and sprinkle generously with poppy seeds* Leave to rise for another half hour. Using a lame or a sharp knife, score a line across the surface of the roll (this will allow air to escape in the oven n a controlled way, without creating a blind burst)
- Place trays into a oven preheated at 230C and bake for 20-25 mins
- Remove rolls from oven using oven gloves and, keeping the rolls on the parchment paper, place on a cooling rack. This allows air to circulate around the rolls as they cool, thus ensuring there is no sogginess.
* can be dressed with sesamee seeds or kept plain with a dusting of flour
Added by: Ameena Nur
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will be delivered by pallet.
Community bakeries and micro-bakeries can call us directly on 01666 505050 to place orders.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers