250g Caster Sugar
75g Flaked Almonds
4 Large Eggs
160g Plain Flour
6g Cardamom Pods; remove the seeds, discard the pods and give the seeds a good bash in a mortar and pestle so that some of the seeds are very fine and some more whole and crunchy
150g Unsalted Butter; melted
Pinch of Salt
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Butter and 8 inch high sided cake tin, sprinkle in some of the sugar to coat the bottom and sides of the tin well, then add the almonds to cover the base.
3. Beat the eggs and the rest of the sugar until very pale, light and fluffy - at least 5 minutes.
4. Gently fold in the flour, cardamom seeds, pinch of salt then the melted butter.
5. Pour the batter over the sugar and almonds. Tap the tin off the counter a few times to get rid of any big bubbles.
6. Bake for 35-40 mins until the cake pulls away slightly from the side if the tin, bounces back from a gentle touch and a skewer comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it.
7. Allow to cool for 10min then invert onto a wire rack to cool fully, slice and serve.