Light yet hearty pita pockets - A huge hit with kids!
1. Combine the starter, water & white flour to form a thic batter
2. Cover the bowl and set aside for 60 minutes
3. Add olive oil, sugar and salt, mix to combine
4. Add the wholeweat flour and mix
5. If mixing by hand, scrape your dough our and kneed for 5 mins or so untill you can feel it strengthening up
6. Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough inside. Flip the ball of dough upside down so its all coated in oil
7. Cover and leave at room temperature for 30 mins
8. Fold your dough by picining up one side of your dough and folding it to the middle, repeat for the other 3 sides and then flip upside down
9. Leave for another 30 mins then fold & flip again
10. Leave for an hour and fold & flip again
11. Leave for a second hour and fold & flip again
12. Leave for a third hour and fold & flip again
13. Cover the bowl/dough tightly with clingfilm and refridgerate over night (or up to 3 days)
14. Remove dough from the refrigerator and bring to room temp (this doesn't seem to be critical)
15. Preheat the oven to 230C - leave your baking tray in while pre-heating
16. Split the dough into 8 pieces & roll into a ball (I split in half and make 4 pitas putting the rest in the fridge to make the other 4 fresh the next day)
17. On a floured surface use a rolling pin to roll out your pita breads to about 7"-8" x 5-6" pieces
18. Carefully lift these onto the hot baking tray and bake for 4 mins if you like them soft, 5-6mins if you prefer crispy pita's
19. Stuff with your fave filling (in my case MUST CONTAIN CHEESE!) Enjoy!
Added by: MariaD
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers