This is a wholewheat version of the Classic English Crumpet. They are good eaten warm and soft.
2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour OR Whole-wheat pastry flour
½ cup warm water (Not more than 110 degrees C)
1 ½ cups milk at room temperature (or slightly warm)
2 teaspoons honey or any sugar you want
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
½ teaspoon baking soda
5 3-inch round metal rings
Grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Stir warm water and honey (or sugar if you are using) together in a large bowl. Mix yeast into the warm water and let stand ( about 10 - 15 minutes) until the yeast begins to bubble. Stir flour, salt, baking soda, and milk into yeast mixture. Cover bowl and let rise in a warm place for 15-20 minutes.
2. Preheat a frying pan on high and grease it. Grease the metal rings and let them become hot for a while (about 2-3 minutes).
3. Spoon the batter into each ring till it’s about ¾ full. Batter will be elastic and stringy, but will fill out the ring as it cooks. Lower the temperature and cook the crumpets until golden brown on the bottom and bubbles form on the top side about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Remove rings from crumpets. If you want them crispy, cook them on the other side too.
5. Repeat to make the rest of the crumpets.
Variation : When crumpets are cooking, you can add a little cheese at the top for a cheesy taste. Do not put them in the batter however.
Added by: Zarina Dumasia
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will generally be delivered by pallet.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers