The small amount of wholemeal in the starter gives the crumb a lovely colour. Wait as the loaf cools and listen to it sing. This loaf freezes well, as you can see from the picture. Enjoy
Starter is 1 part old starter
100g Strong white flour
100g Stoneground wholemeal flour
Mix and rest for 12 hours and at least doubled in size (say 10pm previous evening).
800g Strong white flour
320g Some of the starter from above
1. Water temperature = 54 - ((flour temperature + starter temp) / 2)°C (maximum of 40°C)
2. Measure the starter into a bowl and add the water. Mix until combined.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to a shaggy mess.
4. Tip dough out onto the bench and knead until silky smooth (about 5 minutes). Place back in the bowl covered with a plastic bag for an hour.
5. Place the dough back in the bowl and cover with a loose plastic bag. Rest for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
6. Divide the dough into two and mould each piece into a ball and bench rest for 20 minutes with an upturned bowl on top.
7. Make the final mould and place in a dusted banneton for a final proof of 2-3 hours. Cover with a plastic bag.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 230°C.
Added by: Doughtastic - Graham
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will be delivered by pallet.
Community bakeries and micro-bakeries can call us directly on 01666 505050 to place orders.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers