The best white toast is crisp on the outside but warm and flavoursome on the inside. This is the secret to perfect crunchy toast, every time - thanks to the spelt.
For two 500g loaves
850g strong white flour
150g white spelt flour
A splash of oil
Use the standard bread baking method:
1. Activate the yeast if required in warm water
2. Mix all the ingredients together until you have a smooth dough (approx 10 mins)
3. Form into a ball, dust with flour, leave it, covered, until it's doubled in size (approx 40-60 mins)
4. Knock back so it shrinks in size. Split in half and form two balls
5. Form into loaves / drop into bread tins
6. Dust with flour, leave it, covered, until it's doubled in size again (approx 30-45 mins)
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven 220C for 10 mins, then turn down to 200C for the remainder. If browning quickly, turn down to 180C. They will take approx 30 mins - ready when you tap the bottoms and get a hollow sound in return
8. Leave to cool
Added by: Hi Fans
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers