The best white toast is crisp on the outside but warm and flavoursome on the inside. This is the secret to perfect crunchy toast, every time - thanks to the spelt.
For two 500g loaves
850g strong white flour
150g white spelt flour
A splash of oil
Use the standard bread baking method:
1. Activate the yeast if required in warm water
2. Mix all the ingredients together until you have a smooth dough (approx 10 mins)
3. Form into a ball, dust with flour, leave it, covered, until it's doubled in size (approx 40-60 mins)
4. Knock back so it shrinks in size. Split in half and form two balls
5. Form into loaves / drop into bread tins
6. Dust with flour, leave it, covered, until it's doubled in size again (approx 30-45 mins)
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven 220C for 10 mins, then turn down to 200C for the remainder. If browning quickly, turn down to 180C. They will take approx 30 mins - ready when you tap the bottoms and get a hollow sound in return
8. Leave to cool
Added by: Hi Fans
We are beyond excited to announce the launch our first cookbook with Headline Publishing.
“A Handful Of Flour” explores a myriad of flours and their different flavours, in a selection of well-worked classic recipes with a fresh and contemporary twist.
More than just a baking book, this is a book to introduce you to cooking with flour in general, from popular and classic varieties to ancient grains and gluten free flours.