Sweet, fluffy, light tea cakes....sliced in half, toasted until golden brown and spread while steaming hot with a generous helping of butter...
1 sachet fast action yeast
500g bread flour
300ml warm semi skimmed milk
25g golden syrup
25g caster sugar
50g butter, cubed
150g mixed peel
1/2tsp each ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon
1 level tsp salt
1. Sift flour and salt in Large bowl. Rub in butter with fingertips. Stir in yeast, currants, peel, spices, sugar
2. Make well in centre, pour in milk and golden syrup. kneed into soft dough (add more milk if needed)
3. Kneed on floured surface for 10 mins until elastic and smooth. Cover with cling in a greased bowl for 1-2 hours or until doubled.
4. Knock back. Kneed for 5 mins. Divide into 12 tea cakes. put on greased tray and cover with greased cling. Leave for 1 hour or until doubled.
5. Preheat oven 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Brush tea cakes with a little milk. Bake 10-15 mins or until golden.
serve toasted with butter (or strawberry jam!)
Added by: kal
We are beyond excited to announce the launch our first cookbook with Headline Publishing.
“A Handful Of Flour” explores a myriad of flours and their different flavours, in a selection of well-worked classic recipes with a fresh and contemporary twist.
More than just a baking book, this is a book to introduce you to cooking with flour in general, from popular and classic varieties to ancient grains and gluten free flours.