A warming spiced bread for the winter. Perfect for an alternative Christmas bread. Perfect with cooked meats or strong cheese. Use squash instead if pumpkins cannot be sourced. An easy bread to make, be careful when adding water as the pumpkin puree maybe moist.
300g Strong Organic White Bread Flour
275g Swiss Dark Flour
20g Rye Flour
1.25tsp Dried Yeast
1.5tsp Sea Salt
0.5tsp Malt Extract
1tsp Allspice (ground)
0.25tsp Cinnamon (ground)
0.25tsp Ginger (ground)
4 Cloves (ground tips)
170g Roasted Pumpkin (puréed)
290g – 340g Water (warm)
50g Orange Juice (warmed)
1) Roast chunks of pumpkin in a little oil until soft. Purée and allow to cool.
2) Mix flour, spices and dried yeast (if not required to activate) in large mixing bowl.
3) Mix 150g of water with malt extract. Add yeast if required to activate.
4) Add pumpkin, orange juice and malt extract (yeast) water to flour mix.
5) Add enough further water to form a moist dough.
6) Autolyse for 30 minutes, covered.
7) Stretch and fold dough lightly for one minute. Sprinkle salt over dough.
8) Rest for 10 minutes.
9) Lightly stretch and fold corners. Rest for 10 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Allow to rise.
10) On floured surface gently fold top to middle, bottom to middle. Turn and repeat.
11) Create boule shape, tension top and prove in Banneton.
12) Turn out onto baking tray. Slash desired pattern on top with a sharp knife.
13) Bake at 230c (covered in dutch oven or use steam in oven) for 15 minutes.
14) Lower temperature to 210c and bake for a further 30 minutes or until baked.
Added by: Stoat Dough
We are beyond excited to announce the launch our first cookbook with Headline Publishing.
“A Handful Of Flour” explores a myriad of flours and their different flavours, in a selection of well-worked classic recipes with a fresh and contemporary twist.
More than just a baking book, this is a book to introduce you to cooking with flour in general, from popular and classic varieties to ancient grains and gluten free flours.