Ginger cake made with three types of ginger and a wonderful mix of dark treacle and golden syrup
We are deeply saddened by the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
Our thoughts are with the The Royal Family at this incredibly sad time as we join the nation in mourning the loss of our beloved Sovereign.
May she rest in peace.
1 cup ‘fed’ sourdough starter
1/4 cup oil
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup honey OR ¼ cup water + ¾-1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups apples, peeled cored and diced
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (OPTIONAL)
1/3 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan (or an 8 or 9-inch square pan).
2. Place starter in a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients for the cake and stir gently until well blended.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Mix all topping ingredients in a small bowl until they form crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over top of cake.
5. Cook in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.
Added by: WendyK
We love to see what you've been baking, but are just updating this section at the moment - we will be able to accept new community recipes in the near future, please don't try to upload in the meantime as we won't be able to accept the photo or send a voucher yet.
Once new additions can be welcomed, if you add one of your own baking recipes with a photo to the Shipton Mill website, we will send you a voucher for 5% off your next order from the Flour Direct shop.
It's very easy, just click here to visit your " My Shipton Mill" page to get started.