An easy recipe for moist apple cake using leftover sourdough starter
1 cup ‘fed’ sourdough starter
1/4 cup oil
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup honey OR ¼ cup water + ¾-1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups apples, peeled cored and diced
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (OPTIONAL)
1/3 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan (or an 8 or 9-inch square pan).
2. Place starter in a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients for the cake and stir gently until well blended.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Mix all topping ingredients in a small bowl until they form crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over top of cake.
5. Cook in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.
Added by: WendyK
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers