A recipe from Shipton Mill's "Discover Italian Baking" Day.
This recipe is from Shipton Mill's "Discover Italian Baking" day.
Grissini are Italian breadsticks. They are pencil-thick sticks of crisp, dry bread originating in Turin and the surrounding area in Italy. They are originally thought to have been created in the 14th century; although according to a local tradition, they were invented by a baker in Lanzo Torinese, northern Italy in 1679.
Grissini are great served with pre-dinner drinks as an appetizer and can be seasoned with herbs and spices according to taste. They can also be served alongside dips including basil pesto as we do for lunch on the course. They may also be combined with ingredients such as prosciutto as an hors d'œuvre.
550g Ciabatta Flour
11g Olive oil
Toppings to Taste (We used):
7g Black Pepper
30g Fennel Seeds
100g Sesame Seeds
1. Heat your oven to 220-230ºC.
2. Weigh your water into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the yeast and mix until dissolved.
4. Add the flour, olive oil and salt.
5. Work the ingredients together until you get a smooth dough (it should not be sticky).
6. Leave to rest for 35-40min.
7. Fold the dough to create a rectangular shape.
8. Cover with cling film and rest for 35-40min.
9. Once proved, starting at one edge cut the dough into thin strips.
10. Dip each of the strips into olive oil and then into your topping.
11. Rest on a baking tray for 20min.
12. Line a baking tray with silicone paper (baking parchment).
13. Stretch each of the grissini along its length and place on the lined tray.
14. Work quickly using a water spray to create a steam in the oven and then quickly load your grissini into the oven and shut the door.
15. Bake for 20-25min.
16. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Added by: webmaster
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will be delivered by pallet.
Community bakeries and micro-bakeries can call us directly on 01666 505050 to place orders.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers