Easy...quick....scrumptious... "Delicious when warm, soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside," says my daughter, Cansu Julia, who helped to mix the dough and roll out the croissants with her sister.
250 ml lukewarm water
2 tsp dry yeast
500 g Shipton Mill organic white flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
250g butter, cold, grated
2 eggs whisked for whitewash
1. Mix the warm water, sugar and yeast; leave for 10 minutes for activation.
2. Mix the flour and salt.
3. Add the oil and the yeast mix to make a soft dough; rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Divide into 16 equal pieces, make into small balls and roll out into 15 cm diameter discs.
5. Put a handful of grated cold butter on the first disc; repeat till all the butter and dough has been used, placing each one on top of the last.
6. On a flat surface, marble ideally, roll out all 16 on top of each other.
7. If it is not easy to roll out (probably the butter is too soft) keep in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
8. Roll out into one 0.5 mm thick, 80-100 cm wide circle.
9. Cut it into four, then eight and finally 16 equal wedges.
10. Make a little cut (2cm long) on each wedge from the perimeter towards the centre.
11. Roll them up one by one, tightly, stretching the small end as you go along.
12. Place 8 on a lined baking tray, brush with the eggwash and bake for 10 minutes at 200C, then another 12-15 minutes at 190C.
Enjoy with home made jam or dipped in melted chocolate.
Added by: Berrin Looker
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will be delivered by pallet.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers