Delicious fluffy bagels to remind you of New York
Makes 60 bagels;
1750g of Shipton Mill organic white flour
10g barley malt syrup
970g of warm water (luke warm)
3.5g active dried yeast
1. Mix the salt and flour together in a stand mixer for a couple of spins
2. Meanwhile add the yeast and barley malt syrup to the water (stir and rest for three minutes)
3. Turn your mixer on a slow speed and slowly add the water (should take about 30 seconds to add)
4. Mix for 12 minutes.
5. Remove dough from the mixer and rest for 10 minutes
6. Cut the dough in to 100g portions. and shape them in to balls, tucking them in on themselves.
7. Put them in a proof tray or baking sheet (wise to put on baking parchment to avoid sticking) and leave at room temperature for 90 minutes, or until doubled in size.
8. Put them in the fridge overnight or for 12 hours.
9. Remove from the fridge and bring to room temp for 10 mins, meanwhile put a large pan of water on to boil.
10. Grab a dough ball and carefully punch a hole in the middle with your fingers, then gently spin the bagel between your forefingers until a small hole is formed (turn the oven on to 220 degrees).
11. Once the water is at a rolling boil, add 3 bagels to the water at a time and poach on each side for two mins (four mins total)
12. Remove the bagels from the water with a holed spoon and place on the baking sheet - repeat this process for the max you can fit on sheets for your oven.
13. Bake for 6 mins then spin the baking sheet 180 degrees and bake for another 6 minutes
14. Check the colour, when they're golden brown they're ready (bake them for another 3-5 mins if you prefer a crispier crust).
15. Cool and enjoy!
Added by: Alex Hardie
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers