It turns out that sourdough focaccia is my new favourite go-to bread to make!
This is for a 65% hydration, 25% maize soughdough loaf.
175g Sourdough starter
125g Shipton Mill Organic Maize Flour
25g Shipton Mill Organic Maize Grits
350g Shipton Mill Organic White Flour (704)
Glug of extra virgin unfilered Greek olive oil
Semolina flour or rice flour to line your banneton
1. Get your starter going in your usual way.
2. Mix all your flours, grits & salt together in a bowl.
3. Mix your soughdough starter and the water together in a large mixing bowl and wisk to oxygenate. Add a glug of olive oil.
4. Add your mixed flours, grits & salt and mix together with a metal spoon to form a ball of firm but sticky dough.
5. Rub the outside of the ball with a little more olive oil, cover the bowl with a damp tea towl rise at room temperature for a couple of hours before transfering to the fridge overnight.
6. Next morning get the bowl out and leave to rise a little at room temperature for a couple of hours.
7. Now that the dough is warm and active put it out onto a floured surface, kneed for a couple of minutes and form into the shape of your banneton.
8. Flour your banneton well with semolina or rice flour and pop in your dough, cover again and rise for a few hours at room temperature until risen to nearly fill your banneton.
9. Pre-heat your oven to 220 Celcius. Sprinkle some maize grits on the surface of the dough and flip your banneton out onto your baking surface. Score the top of the loaf and sprinkle more maize grits in the score line.
10. Bake at 220C for 15 minutes and then turn if your oven requires it. Reduce to 200C for another 30 minutes and then reduce to 180C for the final 5-10 minutes depending on how you like your crust.
Great with tomato salad!
Added by: Ted Brown
We love to see what you've been baking, but are just updating this section at the moment - we will be able to accept new community recipes in the near future, please don't try to upload in the meantime as we won't be able to accept the photo or send a voucher yet.
Once new additions can be welcomed, if you add one of your own baking recipes with a photo to the Shipton Mill website, we will send you a voucher for 5% off your next order from the Flour Direct shop.
It's very easy, just click here to visit your " My Shipton Mill" page to get started.