Ginger cake made with three types of ginger and a wonderful mix of dark treacle and golden syrup
We are deeply saddened by the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
Our thoughts are with the The Royal Family at this incredibly sad time as we join the nation in mourning the loss of our beloved Sovereign.
May she rest in peace.
Makes: 12-14 slices
For the Cake
• 200 grams unsalted butter – soft (a bit more for greasing)
• 200 grams caster sugar
• 200 grams ground almonds
• 100 grams cornmeal (fine polenta)
• 1½ teaspoons baking powder (avoid if gluten-free)
• 3 large eggs
• 1 Orange Zest (or 2 Lemons) - juice is saved for syrup – see below
For the syrup
• Orange juice (or lemon juice - see above)
• 125 grams icing sugar
1. Use the baking parchment to line the base of a cake tin and grease its sides lightly with butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, and 160°C Fan or Gas Mark 4)
3. Whip the butter and sugar thoroughly in a bowl using a wooden spoon
4. Mix almonds, polenta and baking powder, and beat them into the butter-sugar mixture, followed by dry eggs, one at a time, beating all the while.
5. Finally, beat in the orange/lemon zest and pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
6. If the cake is cooked, the edges of the cake will have begun to shrink away from the sides of the tin - remove from the oven to a cooling rack.
7. Make the syrup by boiling the orange/lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan until dissolved.
8. Prick the top of the cake all over with a cake tester or a fork, pour the warm syrup over the cake, and leave to cool before taking it out of its tin.
Added by: niran
We love to see what you've been baking, but are just updating this section at the moment - we will be able to accept new community recipes in the near future, please don't try to upload in the meantime as we won't be able to accept the photo or send a voucher yet.
Once new additions can be welcomed, if you add one of your own baking recipes with a photo to the Shipton Mill website, we will send you a voucher for 5% off your next order from the Flour Direct shop.
It's very easy, just click here to visit your " My Shipton Mill" page to get started.