This is a delicious variant of Dorset Apple Cake
• 115g unsalted butter, diced and chilled, plus extra for the tin
• 225g plain flour/ 2 tsp baking powder or 225g self-raising flour
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 115g light brown sugar
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 6-8 tbsp milk
• 300g pears, peeled, cored and diced
• 2 tbsp demerara sugar
• Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line a deep 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
• Mix the flour and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour using your fingers. Stir in the light brown sugar. Beat in the egg followed by 6-8 tbsp of milk – add it gradually until you have a smooth, thick batter.
• Add the diced pear and mix to combine. Scrape the batter into the prepared tin and gently level out. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar, if using, and bake for 30-40 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
• Allow to cool in the tin for 15 mins and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool further.
Added by: Robert Norley
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers