This pastry is truly 'short' and very yummy. Follow the method and make sure the dough is well chilled and rested before rolling out. Using cling film to encourage it into position means that the lovely soft dough will stay together - it really helps! But if you do find a couple of holes or cracks, just push them back together with your fingers.
150g Shipton Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
50g ground almonds
¾ tsp xanthan gum
50g cold unsalted butter
1 medium egg, beaten
2 tsp cold water
1. Weigh the dry ingredients into a bowl.
2. Cut the butter into chunks and rub into the dry flour mixture with fingertips, you can also do this in a food processor using the pulse setting.
3. Add the beaten egg and cold water to form a sticky dough.
4. Shape into a flattened disc, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least one hour - always rest and chill before use. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze it.
5. Remove from fridge and roll out as desired between 2 sheets of clingfilm, this helps you to handle the pastry.
6. Remove the top layer of clingfilm and use the bottom layer to help ease the pastry into final position.
7. If using a pastry cutter, substitute a sheet of parchment for the bottom layer and remove top layer of clingfilm after rolling and before cutting.
8. For a large pastry case bake blind for 10 mins, then a further 20 mins with filling, otherwise it can be baked immediately.
Added by: gfshiptonmill
This page is an open forum for friends of Shipton Mill to contribute recipes. We do not test all of these recipes, so we cannot guarantee that they are gluten-free and suitable for all dietary requirements. Please do check the recipe thoroughly before making it.
Looking for a unique gift for the baker in your life this Christmas? Well we might just have the answer, one of our beautiful Christmas Hampers.
Choose from The Baker’s Starter Kit, designed for the passionate home baker, some of the essentials to get you up and running to produce mouth-watering goodies. Or The Shipton Mill Special, a limited edition hamper including Uncle Tom’s cold-pressed olive oil, our Shipton Mill apron, a hand carved British bread board and more.