Organic ginger hobnobs... easy to make, and quick to bake! the perfect for a cuppa! Plastic Free, Dairy free / Vegan.
8 oz Sugar (demerera works fine)
8 oz Syrup
8 oz marge (or other oil eg coconut)
1 inch fresh ginger, grated.
4 oz white SR flour
4 oz wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder (or just use SR wholemeal
2 -4 oz rolled oats
1 - 2 tsp ginger powder
Makes 2 large baking trays full.
*you can half the mixture for a smaller amount, but I always think if you are going to bother baking, you might as well do enough to last! - you could probably freeze some of the mixture and save for another time!
1: melt sugar, syrup and fat (if using coconut oil, the oil and the syrup can stay separate, this is Ok, it will all mix together)
- Grate the fresh ginger into the oil & syrup mixture, whilst it is heating.
- Blend all dry ingredients EXCEPT THE OATS.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet.
You will find it makes quite a moist mixture,
- Now gradually add the oats. More for a more oaty biscuit, less for a hint of oats on a more classic ginger biscuit.
The hotter the oil / syrup was, the more liquid it will be.
- Allow the mix to cool slightly.
- Spoon the mixture on to a well oiled baking tray (NO NEED FOR BAKING PARCHMENT, which is often not recyclable) using a knife to push the mixture off the spoon.
The biscuits will spread, so give them plenty of room (though you can easily split them up after they are baked)
- Bake at 180 degrees Fan, for 10 minutes, until they are very slightly extra brown on the thin edges.
- Allow to cool on the trays for 10 mins.
- Use a fish slice or palette knife to ease off tray, cutting between the stuck together bits first.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack,
- Store in a tin, handy for the kettle! Enjoy with a nice warm drink!!
Added by: Sophie Hurr
Looking for a unique gift for the baker in your life this Christmas? Well we might just have the answer, one of our beautiful Christmas Hampers.
Choose from The Baker’s Starter Kit, designed for the passionate home baker, some of the essentials to get you up and running to produce mouth-watering goodies. Or The Shipton Mill Special, a limited edition hamper including Uncle Tom’s cold-pressed olive oil, our Shipton Mill apron, a hand carved British bread board and more.