Delicious, chewy bagels with seeds
500g Canadian Strong White bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
7g easy blend yeast
250 ml lukewarm water
2 teaspoons malt extract or honey
1 medium free range egg, beaten
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon malt extract or honey
1 egg white
poppy seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds mixed together
1. Put the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a large bowl or food mixer and mix. Make well in centre.
2. Mix the water with the malt extract or honey, beaten egg and sunflower oil. Pour into the well and mix to a soft but sticky dough. Knead on a lightly floured work surface for 10 minutes or in a mixer with a dough hook for 4 mins. Dough should be smooth and pliable.
3. Cover dough in bowl with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 90 minutes until doubled in size.
4. Knock back the dough and divide into 8 pieces ( or 12 pieces for smaller bagels). Roll into neat balls and cover With a dry tea towel.
Allow to rise for 10 minutes.
5. Flatten the balls and use the end of a floured wooden spoon to poke a hole through the centre of each. Twirl each ball around the spoon gently to create a hole of approx 3cm. Arrange on floured baking trays and cover and allow to rise for 15 mins.
6. Heat oven to 200 degrees C, 400 degrees F, Gas 6.
7. Bring a large plan of water to the boil and stir in the malt extract or honey. Drop the bagels in 2 at a time and poach for 1 minute on each side. Drain thoroughly and arrange on greased baking trays well apart.
8. Brush the bagels with the egg whites then sprinkle generously with the seed mixture.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a glossy, golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Added by: Cheryl Ricketts
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers