I was given a friand tin for Christmas one year and I thought that the oval shape for little cakes was delightful. They will however taste just as good as small cakes cooked in a muffin tin. This recipe has been adapted as gluten free but are enjoyed by all, as they are a real treat.
100g butter, melted and cooled
125g sieved icing sugar
85g ground almonds
3 medium egg whites
items to decorate - choose from:
glace cherries (chopped into quarters)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Butter six non-stick friand or muffin tins. Melt butter and leave to cool.
2. Sift icing sugar and flour into a bowl. Add the almonds and mix together.
3. Whisk egg whites separately until they form a light, floppy foam. Make a well in the dry ingredients, tip in the egg whites, lightly stir in the melted butter to form a soft batter.
4. Divide the batter between the tins. Add the decorating items. Bake for 15-20 minutes until just firm to the touch and golden brown.
5. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack.
Added by: Juliet Collis
This page is an open forum for friends of Shipton Mill to contribute recipes. We do not test all of these recipes, so we cannot guarantee that they are gluten-free and suitable for all dietary requirements. Please do check the recipe thoroughly before making it.
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers