Simple "pâte à chou" for savoury or sweet puffs -- never fails!
150g flour (type 45 French for pastries)
salt (1/4 - 1/2 tsp), pepper (to taste)
Savoury option: 200g grated cheese OR 100g grated cheese + 100g cooked bacon bits
Preheat oven to 190°C
1. Bring a pot containing the water, butter cut into pieces, and salt, to a simmer.
2. When the water is simmering and the butter melted, remove the pot from heat and add the flour all at once, mix.
3. Add the eggs one by one. At the beginning it appears they will never incorporate, but never fear, it will happen.
Savoury option: add cheese OR cheese + bacon bits, mix to incorporate.
4. Drop balls of dough (~1.5 inch diameter) onto a cookie sheet or oven proof casserole, greased or covered with parchment paper. Alternatively, the dough can be arranged in a crown shape as pictured.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until puffed and slightly golden.
As a sweet alternative to the cheesy version, use less salt in the dough. After baking, allow puffs to cool and cut in half to fill with lightly sweetened cream, or inject with a pastry tip.
Added by: starz1010101
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will generally be delivered by pallet.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers