Brioche is a bread of French origin that is similar to a highly enriched pastry, and whose high egg and butter content give it a rich and tender crumb. I love making halloumi burgers with this recipe, yum!
3 tbsp. milk
250ml warm water
2 tsp. active dry yeast
2 ½ tbsp. sugar
2 large eggs
420g bread flour
50g all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. salt
2 ½ tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Gently warm up the milk – do not boil!
2. In a glass measuring cup, combine the water, milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about five minutes.
3. Beat one egg.
4. In a large bowl, whisk mix both flours and add salt.
5. Cut butter into cubes and rub into flour between your fingers, making crumbs.
6. Using palette knife stir in yeast mixture and beaten egg until a dough forms.
7. Scrape dough onto clean, well-floured counter and knead, scooping dough up, slapping it on counter and turning it, until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. The dough will be on the sticky side so it can be a bit messy, but keep in mind that the more flour you knead in, the tougher the buns will get.
8. Shape dough into a ball and return it to bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (ideally 1-2 hours).
9. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using the palette knife divide dough into 8 equal parts.
10. Gently roll each into a ball and arrange 4-5cm apart on baking sheet. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel tacking the edges under to trap the heat, and let buns rise in a warm place (again, ideally 1-2 hours).
11. Set a large shallow pan of water on oven floor. Preheat oven to 200C with rack in center. Beat remaining egg with one tablespoon water and brush some on top of buns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
12. Bake, turning the tray around halfway through baking, until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Added by: Nathalie
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will generally be delivered by pallet.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers