I have been to Madeira several times and fell in love with this delicious bread. Bolo do caco is a traditional bread only produced on the islands of Madeira and is made of sweet potato, preferable the type they grow in Madeira. However you can take the normal sweet potato found in the supermarket. 'Bolo' means bread and 'caco' refers to the slab of stone that the bread is baked on. These breads are not baked in an oven but in a frying pan. They are typically served with butter and garlic.
2 dl sourdough rye/wheat starter
4.5 dl water, 30°C
300 g Shipton Mill Organic White Flour No.4
50 g Shipton Mill Organic Dark Rye Flour
350 g oven-baked sweet potato flesh
4.5 dl water, 30°C
1000 g Shipton Mill Organic White Flour No.4
15 g sea salt
2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
1. Bake the sweet potatos in the oven at 200 °C for 60 min or until they are soft inside.
2. In the evening, mix the pre-culture and let it stand at room temperature over night.
3. Mix the pre-culture with sweet potato, flour, salt and oil by hand or in a dough mixer. I use an Ankarsrum assistant and mix at medium speed for 12 min.
4. Prepare a big plastic bowl by coating it with rapeseed oil. Let the dough rise at room temperature in the bowl for 4-6 hours. Fold and stretch the dough every hour.
5. Divide the dough in 8 equally sized parts, forming them into round breads of 1.5 to 2 cm thickness. You will have to add more flour to prevent them from sticking too much.
6. Let the breads rise under a kitchen towel for 20 min.
7. Pre-heat a frying pan and heat it to low/medium temperature. You will have to adjust the heat to avoid burning the bread but at the same time cook them all the way through.
8. Cook the bread 8-10 minutes on each side. The breads should be 1.5 to 2 cm thick when you put them in the pan.
9. When they are done, let the breads cool down on a grating. Serve with butter, garlic, ham etc.
Added by: Helge Gad
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will generally be delivered by pallet.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers