Everyone loves a gorgeous, chewy, shiny bagels, topped with poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Get the cream cheese and smoked salmon ready!
Ingredients to make 16 bagels
900g very strong flour
6g diastatic malt
malt syrup for boiling
egg for eggwash
poppy seeds and sesame seeds for a sprinkle on top
1. Mix all the dough ingredients until all the flour is well hydrated, (3 minutes on slow speed if using a mixer),
then knead for about 10 minutes (5 minutes at a slightly faster speed in the mixer). It will be a stiff dough, a good workout.
2. Allow to bulk ferment for about 1 hour.
3. Divide it into 90g pieces and roll each piece into a tight sausage about 20 cm long.
4. To shape it, wrap ithe sausage over the broadest part of the back of your hand with the ends hanging down overlapping slightly on your palm. Roll your hand back and forth to seal the two ends together
5. Place on trays that have been sprinkled with semolina, cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight
4. Prepare a deep frying pan with boiling water and a tablespoonful of malt syrup and some baking trays with baking parchement Preheat the oven to 230 degrees
5. Put the bagels into the boiling water with plenty of room in between for 30 seconds, then flip over for another 30 seconds. The bagels will puff up nicely and the surface will gelatinise
6. Take out and allow to drip for a couple of seconds and place on the baking tray, eggwash, sprinkle with seeds
7. Bake for about 15-18 minutes until beautiful golden brown
Added by: Julia Farkas
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers