This is a really simple and lovely cake to make in the autumn and is made with basic ingredients in less than 45 minutes. We loved baking during lockdown that it fills the kitchen with the lovely aromas of our own garden apples and cinnamon. Boys just loved them!.
I have used coconut sugar or soft brown sugar, as I love the dark smoky taste it gives the cake, but this cake will work just as well with ordinary sugar. You may use cooking apples as a more tart flavour contrasts well with the sweetness of the cake. I use 2 large coxes from our apple tree in the garden, but this recipe works with dessert apples too. I like to eat this cake just as it is and slightly warm from the oven, but you could serve it with some custard if you are really into it!
Apple cake Plain Flour (Cake/Pastry flour) 200 grams (1 and 1/2 cups)
Baking Powder 2 teaspoons Baking Soda 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut/Brown/Caster Sugar 150 grams (3/4 cup)
Apples (Cooking/Dessert) 2 large, peeled and roughly chopped
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
Vegetable oil (coconut or canola) 120 ml (1/2 cup)
Yogurt 120 ml (1/2 cup) – Greek
Cinnamon topping 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter and 50g Sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) convection. Grease and line an 8 or 9 inch round cake tin with baking or parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar, add chopped apples and stir briefly to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients - eggs, vanilla, oil and yoghurt, and whisk briefly just to break up the egg yolks.
4. Mix dry and wet ingredients gently with a wooden spoon until combined, but be careful not to over mix. Spoon the batter into prepared tin.
5. To make cinnamon topping, combine cinnamon, sugar and butter, and mix together until lumpy and wet. Sprinkle over cake batter.
6. Bake cake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool.
ENJOY WARM WITH A SCCOP OF ICE CREAM/CUSTARD OR JUST PLAIN WITH TEA!..YUM!!
Added by: niran
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will generally be delivered by pallet.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers