A lovely bread with a sourdough texture but with out the sourness! Easy peasy to make.
• 400g of white bread flour
• 1g of fast action yeast
• 8g of salt
• 300ml of water
• splash of oil
1. Put the flour salt and yeast into a bowl making sure the salt and yeast are at opposite sides.
2. Add 300ml of water (cold is fine) and mix using a knife for about 15 seconds until all combined. Don't over mix you just want to make sure the flour and water is incorporated.
3. Lightly oil another (large) bowl and tip the mixture in. Cover with clingfilm and leave for 18-24 hours.
4. When the proving time is up line a banneton or proving basket with a really well floured tea towel (make sure it's not a textured one as the dough will stick).
5. Scrape out the dough onto a floured surface and then fold in half and half again.
6. Place in the lined banneton. Add more flour on top of the dough to stop it sticking and wrap the tea towel on top of it. Leave for two hours.
7. About 20 mins before the two hours is up put the oven on at 210 (fan) and put in a medium cast iron pan with the lid on the shelf below. Something like a Le creuset. The pan needs to get really hot to ensure the bread doesn't stick.
8. When the two hours is up take the heated pan out of the oven and remove the lid. Unfold your tea towel and tip the dough into your hand and then quickly place it into the pan. Replace the lid and put it into the oven for 30 mins.
9. When the 25 mins is up take off the lid and then bake for another 20 mins.
10. Remove the bread from the pan and brush off the excess flour the leave to cool on a cooling wrack.
Important things to remember:
Flour the tea towel well or else the dough will stick
Pan needs to be super hot.
Work quickly when you are placing the dough into the pan. Be confident with it. Flip it into your hand and then back over into the pan quickly. The dough is forgiving so you can't go too wrong you just need to get it into the hot oven before the pan cools to prevent sticking.
Added by: carolyn hoskin
Looking for a unique gift for the baker in your life this Christmas? Well we might just have the answer, one of our beautiful Christmas Hampers.
Choose from The Baker’s Starter Kit, designed for the passionate home baker, some of the essentials to get you up and running to produce mouth-watering goodies. Or The Shipton Mill Special, a limited edition hamper including Uncle Tom’s cold-pressed olive oil, our Shipton Mill apron, a hand carved British bread board and more.