Soft, sweet, and golden-yellow from the butter and egg, these simple buns are perfect for burgers.
* 3 1/2 cups (420g) Canadian strong white flour
* 3/4 to 1 cup (170g to 227g) water, lukewarm
* 2 tablespoons (28g) butter, at room temperature
* 1 large egg
* 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
* 1 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon (9g) instant yeast
* 3 tablespoons (43g) butter, melted; divided
Seed topping (optional)
* 1 large egg white, whisked with 2 tablespoons cold water*
* sesame seeds, or the seeds of your choice
* Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess.
* To make the dough: Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough.
* Cover the dough and let it rise until it's nearly doubled in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours.
* To shape the buns: Gently deflate the dough and divide it into eight pieces (about 100g each). Shape each piece into a ball.
* Flatten each dough ball with the palm of your hand until it's about 3" across.
* Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until noticeably puffy, about an hour. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
* Brush the buns with about half of the melted butter. To make seeded buns, brush the egg white/water mixture right over the melted butter; it'll make the seeds adhere. Sprinkle buns with the seeds of your choice.
* To bake the buns: Bake the buns for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the oven and brush with the remaining melted butter; this will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust. If you've made seeded buns apply the melted butter carefully, to avoid brushing the seeds off the buns.
* Cool the buns on a rack before slicing in half.
Added by: Melina Noula
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers