This is a multi choice recipe for Soda Bread with many different additions to suit your taste and what you have in the fridge at the time.
Irish Soda Bread (with optional extras)
500g Strong white flour (350g white&150g wholemeal for a more rustic loaf)
20g (1 heaped tsp) Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
75g Butter/Margarine, softened
150ml Buttermilk & 200ml Milk OR 450ml of Cider or Beer
OPTIONAL EXTRAS Cheese, cubed Olives, halved Sun dried tomatoes Chopped grilled bacon Chopped chorizo Mixed herbs/chives etc etc
1. Put the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter/margarine.
2. Stir in the buttermilk and milk or cider or beer and mix well.
3. Switch on the oven to pre heat to 200 C fan.
4. Tip out the mix and knead for a short time into a round loaf shape, do not over work the mix .
5. Add the cheese in small cubes, halved olives, bacon, herbs etc and work gently into the loaf ensuring they are well incorporated inside the loaf.
6. Place the loaf on to baking paper on a large baking tray and leave to rest for 20 minutes in a warm place.
7. Have a cup of tea and a biscuit.
8. Using a dough cutter or a sharp large knife cut the loaf all the way through twice to create 4 quarters but leave the 4 quarters touching.
9. Dust the top of the loaf with flour and bake in the pre heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
10.Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Best eaten whilst still warm with loads of butter.
This loaf is completely calorie free and the reason why Irish people are so slim and good looking.
Added by: Philip Docherty
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers