This is my Lockdown sourdough recipe that i have perfected over the past year and now keep the bread bin stocked with afresh loaf or 2 every week.
Soft Bake Sourdough
• 325g tepid water
• 150g starter
• 25g maple syrup or honey
• 20g olive oil
• 500g Very Strong organic white bread flour
• 10g salt
1. Weigh flour, starter and tepid water roughly mix and let it sit for 30-60 minutes.
2. Next, add salt, mix on mixer with dough hook low speed until it leaves the sides.
3. Cover bowl and let it sit in a warm place for about 4 hours, giving it two or three stretches and folds during this time.
4. Ones it is airy and maintaining shape, scrape the dough out onto an unfloured surface, using a scraper to preshape the loaf driving underneath to tighten it, and then bench rest for 30 minutes.
5. When ready, dust your proving basket with plenty of white flour gather your loaf and carefully put it into your basket, cover and rest for 1 hour at room temperature 25°C then fridge prove overnight, no longer than 24hours.
6. About 30 minutes before you bake, place a casserole dish with lid in to preheat 250°C/230°C fan oven
7. Dust a piece of parchment with semolina and carefully turn your loaf out on to it and slash with a razor.
8. Carefully lift into your hot casserole dish, place in the middle of the oven Spray the inside with water to create steam cover the casserole and bake for 30 mins. After 30mins turn down to 190°C, remove lid, give it another spray and bake for another 20-30 minutes, keep an eye on it so it doesn’t get too dark.
Added by: Rob Gathercole
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers