Taught many years ago to make Soda Bread by my Mum, and this is it with a twist. A low fat and low salt version which still tastes gorgeous. Beautiful fresh bread for 2 days, then perfect for toast and jam for a couple more days (if there is any left by then!). Sometimes I add The 5 Seed Blend which really adds to the flavour especially for toast.
1. Make the buttermilk, by adding about a tablespoon of lemon juice to 400ml of skimmed milk. Leave to one side for 10 mins, it will get very slightly thicker.
2. Heat the oven to Gas 5, electric 170.
3. Sprinkle a little flour on a baking tray, and work surface (for kneading).
4. Put 450g of Organic Irish Soda Coarse Brown Bread Flour in a bowl
5. Add 10g or sachet of baking powder and a level teaspoon of salt, mix together with a spoon. (add 5 seed blend at this point if using)
6. Make a well in the flour mixture, and slow add the curdled milk, a bit at a time, stirring it in with the spoon (I use a metal dessert spoon).
7. The mixture should be a little sticky when all the milk is added, if it isn't, add a little water or skimmed milk.
8. flour your hands, and sprinkle flour around the dough, then tip onto floured work surface.
9. Make into a round, short time of very gentle kneading and turning to make the round shape.
10. Lift onto the floured baking tray and flatten the round of dough to about 2ins thick, keeping the round shape, then use a bread carving knife to cut a deep cross on top, just over half way down.
11. Bake for 25mins, then turn the tray around in the oven and bake for another 10-15mins. Until the top is a deep brown colour, and tapping the bottom makes a hollow sound.
12. Cool on a wire rack. When cold, wrap in silver foil to keep fresh for 2 days, day 3 onwards it will be best toasted.
Added by: Sadie Furey
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers